Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Wonderful Wide World of the Web (WWWW ???)


Hello world and Happy Happy Tuesday! (it's that much closer to Friday! :) )
Tonight in Innovative TR Activities we learned how to use the databases on the library website to find info on TR activities or for searching anything that you need to find a scholarly article on. It was super helpful to have Galadriel the librarian go over in detail how to use the database search engines on the Murphy LIbrary website because for me, they are super intimidating. I haven't had much experience using them, so it was nice to have a step by step guide on how to use them properly. I had no idea you are supposed to use OR in between different search keywords, or that stringing along different synonyms for the words you are looking for can help you find what you're looking for! For example, when looking up "youth and alcoholism" it made the world of difference when we put in all the synonyms for "youth," like adolescent and teen. Also, there is no way I would have known that putting an asterisk after a word like teen* means that the search will include teenager as well!


    When I first started doing my own searching, I utilized some of the techniques Galadriel showed us when looking for TR treatment issues in kids with Cerebral Palsy. It took me a few tries to get the wording right, but after doing some preliminary research I used some terms I found in certain articles as jumping off points for more searches. While at first I was kind of struggling with getting the info I found some really cool scholarly articles on Hippotherapy and it's effects on kids with CP, which I think is going to be the topic of my research paper!

Adorable, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment